Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Female Trumpet Players

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

Are there any well-known female trumpet players out there?  I have just recently been looking for a trumpet sound ‘idol’ I suppose you could call it, but I’ve always wondered if there were any women out there who I could look to for inspiration.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Thanks!  I was just wondering!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Ta-dah! A thread that engages the discussion…sort of! For those of you living in the NYC area, Columbia University’s Center for Jazz Studies is hosting a lecture on female jazz musicians and, I think, female jazz trumpeters will be a big feature.

I can’t access all the information now but if you do a search and find Columbia’s Center for Jazz Studies and click around, you’ll find the lecture I’m talking about. The lecture is next wekened, I think. There is also a good book out on female trumpeters by one of the speakers (Sherry Tucker?) and one forthcoming by another scholar who will be speaking.

Glad to know you all are in the know about female trumpeters. yay!

you’re so smart!

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

Rank

Joined 0

PM

I’m really interested in obtaining the book on female trumpet players.  Could someone supply the name of the book, publisher, etc.

I’m also interested in the history of female trumpet players during the early decades of 20th century jazz.

I live in St. Louis and first met St. Louis Symphony principal trumpet Susan Slaughter at a live broadcast of her St. Louis Brass Quintet recently.  As classical as she is, she can jam on the quintet jazz pieces as well. 

LH

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 105

Joined 2007-01-01

PM

There is a very talented female trumpet player in the Minnesota Chamber Orchestra…*thinking of her name*

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Saskia Laroo! Rebecca Coup Franks…...

Rank

Total Posts: 9

Joined 0

PM

Just ordered the Alison Balsom CD, she is Awesome!!!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Lesa,

Her name is Sherrie Tucker and she is at the University of Kansas. Her book, “Swing Shift: ‘All Girl’ Bands of the 1940s” is thougtful and well written.  Her biblioghapy in this book is a great source for securing additional sources.

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Thank you for the information JG.

I’m also interested in finding out where to get the Allison Balsom CD mentioned by Ashley.

LH

Rank

Joined 0

PM

You can get the cd on Amazon-just search Alison Balsom.  I ended up paying around $15.00 with shipping.  Good luck and happy listening!

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Just out of curiosity, how old are the female trumpet players on this forum?  I am 22 and in my fourth year of college.  Just want to know so maybe we could compare some of our repertoire.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2005-09-18

PM

Ingrid Jensen!!!!!!!!!!!! IMHO is one of the best right now….

Catch her if you can!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 85

Joined 2005-03-13

PM

Carole Dawn-Reinhart

Signature

Janez Lorber

Kot pri Prevaljah 35

2391 Prevalje, Slovenia, Europa

or

Janez Lorber

Albertgasse 48

1080 Vienna, Austria,Europa

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Try these

Look up Valaida Snow ‘Queen of the Trumpet’

Saskia Laroo is ultra cool and plays a Jazz dance style.

Leisl Whitaker plays with a group of female players called DIVA

Clora Bryant

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 0

PM

I like to name some brazilian female trunpet player, she is called here A MARRON (it´s about the colour). Her name: ALCIONE.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Don’t forget Bibi Black.