Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

taylor

RankRank

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

hi all
i play on a taylor chcago custom what a superb horn any comments about these horns?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 66

Joined 0

PM

Is that the same company that makes the guitars?

R.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

He man….Taylor horns are very good as well! I’ve played on one in New York. They are just as free blowing as the Monette. (Monette horns are probably a little better.) I play on a heavy model King with the Monette B2 Mouthpiece. (Wynton’s Mouthpiece) I have a great sound, BUT!, My response and phrasing is sacrificed sometimes. But let’s face it, we all have great days and some days, all you have to do is warm up and your lips are shot! So in retrospect, Taylor Chicago’s are great horns. They’re even extremely heavy like Monette horns! But if you want a heavy BELLED trumpet, (You know, the horns with 2 bells) look at Courtois (Pronounced Kor-Twa) trumpets. I believe Le Blanc makes ‘em. Well buddy good look with your new Taylor!

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

I’ve got an older Chicago model as well (sn#917) if that means anything to you.

I bought it while I was living in England. It is a killer horn. I can bend notes like a sax player, and cut through any rock/funk band or orchestra like a chainsaw, or play a balad with just a bass and guitar and sound fresh and sweet. I think for the price they blow away Monette’s horns, plus you don’t have to wait a year for them to make it.

Andy Taylor is always quick to respond to questions via email (same day!)
downside…

My horn is an older model, so the slides aren’t plated, so they leak. but He has his own technition in LA, so at least I don’t need to send it overseas to have decent work done to it.

also it is HEAVY after a gig my shoulder hurts from the weight, but it makes up for it in the sound.

also the raw brass gets dirty and dingy very quickly, so it’s either bright shiny brasso for a couple of days, or water stains, rust and fingerprints for the time till I brasso it again.

also, sometimes people are more interested in the horn im playing, than the music I’m playing.

however, I wouldn’t trade it for anything.