Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

A Love supreme!

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 0

PM

Has anyone got a report on the new LCJO recording of A Love Supreme?

I cannot wait to get a copy of that little beauty!!

Calling Rocky james.. bro I reckon you must be one of the first to get one..a man seemingly in the know like you!!

merry new year friends!!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 85

Joined 2005-03-07

PM

I’m listening to it as I write this. As a LCJO/Marsalis recording alone I think it is great, but as a version of “Love Supreme” I have a few issues with it. It sounds REALLY conventional given how progressive the source material was/is. I like when Wynton addresses older material, such as on the Jelly Roll Morton album, and infuses it with a post-bop harmonic/improvisational aesthetic. Here, it sounds like he’s gone for the opposite approach—trying to marry modal ‘60s Coltrane with more traditional Ellington-style arranging. The result sounds more Kenton-esque than anything else. Don’t get me wrong though, for fans of Wynton it is a superb listen, but not as forward thinking as I would have hoped.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Frankie,

Actually, I haven’t heard the LCJO version of “A Love Supreme”. I guess I’ve subconsciously resisted listening to newer versions, including Branford’s new quartet version, because the original is so dear to me. I’ll probably get around to it, but you know how it is..so much music, so little time( and money!).

RankRankRank

Joined 2006-11-16

PM

I heard the clips.

It’s gorgeous.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

A Love Supreme was a seminal moment in the creation of jazz and improvised music. I really love it, and I just don’t feel the need to go out and buy either of these “re-examinations” of it. Theres alot more music on my list of CD’s way ahead of these, so don’t think I’ll be getting to these anytime soon.  Also, I heard Wynton’s orchestral thing on Ornette’s music, and I think he really missed the boat. He did much better a few weeks later, playing Ornette’s music with a small group with Roswell Rudd.

RankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-07

PM

Rocky James wrote, “He did much better a few weeks later, playing Ornette’s music with a small group with Roswell Rudd”

REALLY?!!!! When was that? That sounds incredible. I had no idea he did that. Any recording available?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Yeah! I think I posted something about this event way back in June. Merkin Hall had a jazz series, and Phil Schaap produced this evening based on the theory that Ornette’s music could be played in a New Orleans second line thing. The first half of the concert featured Roswell Rudd on Trombone, Scott Robinson mainly on clarinet and some C-melody sax, Herlin Riley, and Ornette’s current bass player, Greg Cohen. Then in the second half, Wynton came out and joined the group. He and GregCohen played a duet on Ornette’s “Sadness” that was quite exquiste.
Ben Ratliff of the NY Times reviewed the concert, and was not as enthusiastic about it as I, but I never thought much of his criticism anyway. Trust me, this concert was great.

Also to Frankie; no offense, but I think comparing one’s feelings for one’s own children to a work of art is somewhat facile.

RankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-07

PM

I just read a review of the LCJO Ornette concert—critic didn’t like it that much either.

You’d think Wynton would get a bit more adventurous with this kind of material. It’s almost like he wants to reinterpret avant-garde jazz in a mainstream setting—kind of reintroduce it in a more palatable way to his core audience.

Thoughts?

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Hey Rocko
give the guy a break he’s not been facile, just making a comparison. anyway I think it’s sincere. don’t be hard on the cat man. Hey Frank, i hear what your saying. I don’t think it’s a good metaphor but you tried. Cool.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Barney,

I wasn’t trying to be snied when I said the comparison was “facile”, but it in fact just a little too pat . Fidelity to offspring and fidelity to a favorite recording…you know what I mean..I got Frankie’s point otherwise, and I wasn’t trying to bash him.

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 0

PM

Rock’

I didn’t take offense really. I thought that Charlie Hadens use of metaphor was innappropriate when he likened what he and his asscociate were doing musically to being front line soldiers in combat ( Ken Burns Doc) However, I think my view was tainted by the fact that I’m used to hearing some really pretentious, self adulating, condescending musicians who reaaly elevate themselves above ‘people’. Now don’t get me wrong, in no way am i putting charlie in there, he’s hip, no doubt, and a bright guy too

All i’m saying is that unlike Wynton, Pops, Trane and others, some f**k ups seem to be motivated by just the spotlight or there own crnies sucking up to them, even tough they masquerade behind some pseudo socio-ploitico (polemico!)-mystical-“cultural” semi-digested, mis or ill informed, pepetuating semi truth, one dimensional realit tunnel- professions of concern and comittment to the betterment of humanity, when really they don’t give a hoot about the next man, only about looking good or clever to their peeers, getting a flash car, or winning some bullshit award, awarded to them by some other bullshiter ...

hey that’s how it is. sorry for my metaphor man-i’d had a few Wrey and nephews at the time.

RankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-07

PM

Has anyone else listened to the version of “A Love Supreme” that Wynton did with a small group? It was posted as a streaming live concert on the LCJO site last year. I just curious, I thought it was very interesting to hear a trumpeter attempt it. It didn’t get much attention at that time.

Rank

Total Posts: 12

Joined 0

PM

Where did yall get the recording of A Love Supreme by LCJO?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2006-09-01

PM

I just heard “Pursuance” I think, on WRTI, 90.10 FM in Philadelphia and it was SMO KING; I couldn’t believe the brilliance of the arrangement and the dexterity involved, not taking away from the music. I am sure they are going to play this album again .May be you could catch it on their website: http://www.wrti.org

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 332

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Wynton also played “A Love Supreme” on a tribute cd with Elvin Jones.

The album is entitled:
Elvin Jones Special Quartet - Tribute to John Coltrane “A love Supreme”
Special guest artist: Wynton Marsalis
Live at “Pit Inn” Tokyo, Japan

It features Elvin Jones (drums), Wynton Marsalis (trumpet), Marcus Roberts (piano) and Reginald Veal (bass).
The album was recorded live on December 3rd and 4th, 1992

Track listing:
1) A love Supreme
2) Dear Lord
3) Happy Birthday for Yuka
4) Blues to Veen

Signature

ADMIN

RankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-07

PM

Maybe THAT is what I heard on the LCJO streaming radio a while back.