Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Playing with braces

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2006-08-28

PM

KarissaAnn,

You can do it.  You can study jazz.  It will come back, just focus and have faith.  The girls, the affect hits us in a different way.  This is life you know and it’s a skill to manage yourself and your focus during challenges like this. 

As for the beating that senior, it’s an age old thang…  My Grandma played sousaphone, still can she says. She learned from her Dad who played with the Ringling Bros Circus at the turn of the last century.  When she was a teenager, she studied with Bill Bell from the Juilliard.  He gave her 3 to 4 hour lessons whenever she could travel to NYC.  He also told her that her tone was closest to his out of all his students.  In district competition, she got the highest, a 1+.  But in state competition, she scored only a 2+ against the boys.  I don’t think Grandma ever got braces though.

Good luck and play your best!

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2009-04-12

PM

Has anyone has any experience with Invisiline Braces and trumpet playing?  We are thinking about going that route which I understand will mean that our son has braces longer but our hope is that this will lessen the impact of braces on his playing.  Any thoughts/insights?

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-04-14

PM

I played with braces for about 4 years in middle and highschool. It was hard for me to adjust at first, but you get used to it. The problem is that your teeth are constantly shifting, this causes you to have to reset everytime your teeth move.

The biggest problem with playing with braces occurs not durring, but after you get them taken off. This is because when you have bracess on your bottom row of teeth, it forces you to fold your bottom lip out, instead of tucking it in. In order to develop the proper muscles in your embouchure, you need to play with your bottom lip tucked in. Because of the braces, you are unable to do this.

I had this issue and had to re-learn how to play with my bottom lip tucked in. (Luckily I studdied with a teacher who specializes in this kinda thing.) Starting with setting the right embouchure with the lip tucked in and buzzing without the mouthpiece while playing along with keys on the piano. Then, I added on the mouthpiece, and eventually the horn.

My best advice is for your son to just get used to playing with braces whatever way he can, and when he gets them taken off, to remember that the bottom lip must be tucked in.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-09-22

PM

Hi I have just released a book called Brace Yourself for Brass which is a collection of 8 intermediate to advanced pieces written especially for players with braces. You can view and hear them at www.foxydostmusic.co.uk

Hope that helps!

Rank

Total Posts: 0

Joined 2013-12-01

PM

I’m a trumpet player in a high school marching band and I was the 4th best trumpet player.  I just got braces less than a week ago and now I can barely play a Bb scale.  I get VERY frustrated during band practice when i can’t play the show.  I’ve read all the posts on this forum and I’m impressed with all the stories. Yet still I can’t play the 1st part that was assigned to me for the show and the first competion is a week away and I’m really worried.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2011-09-19

PM

Don’t wait to get braces, folks! Our son is in conservatory and his teeth problems have caught up to him. He is suffering pain from a compressed nerve resulting from playing trumpet with uneven front teeth. He may have to take a couple years off while he wears braces. He is giving up hope, and may not continue in his quest to become an orchestra musician. High school band directors may find players with braces incovenient, but conservatory professors may find them unacceptable. Also, teeth in children correct more easily than in adults.