Joined 2005-03-11

PM

Braceguard is better!!

RankRank

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2005-05-06

PM

Hey David O—

Aren’t your braces on the backside of the teeth? How is this working for you?

Does “Braceguard” work for frontal braces and lingual braces (back braces)???

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 292

Joined 2005-03-11

PM

Hi g—,

Yes, they are on the backside of the teeth. My main reason for choosing this is so I wouldn’t have 18-24 months where I can’t progress with my embouchure. I got them on monday, and I’m still adjusting the way I use my tongue and air in my mouth, but that is only a very minor adjustment and won’t impede at all on general progress with playing the trumpet after the first few initial weeks of adjustment. I most likely will be playing like I was before I got braces within the coming week, then I can return to working on my new embouchure-(that won’t disappear when I get my braces removed)!

Braceguard, I find, is the best product for people with braces because you can create your own custom “lip protector”. It is two putty-like compound that when mixed together, it sets, forming a shield over the braces, which is removable and re-usable. I first started using it to make a smooth surface over my very crooked bottom teeth.

Might want to try the website;

http://www.braceguard.com

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

I started playing the trumpet when I was 7. I got braces when I was 12 or 13. I am getting them off in about 2 weeks. A month after I get them off, I have an audition when I’m playing the first movement of the Hindemith Sonata. Is it really going to be possible to adjust in that time?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-11

PM

That will be tricky to tell exactly… some people will get used to them within a month, most will take longer. Just concentrate on getting your embouchure working efficiently again after you get them off, but you can only do your best to get used to a new feel, there really is nothing you can do to “hurry up” the process.

Best of luck.

David O.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Eh, thank you kind sir. I believe I’m going to pass on the audition and wait it out, to really get me back to normal.

Hopefully it will not take that long, though. It definitely requires patience and discipline.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

I just got my braces off and i played with them for 2 years.  my first year, i actually played baritone instead of trumpet (because they needed one) and did great.  the following summer i practised and practised on trumpet, and i improved more and more.  Just don’t quit guys and keep working at it, but as far as i’m concerned (and another trumpeter who went through the same thing but still became a trumpet major!) feel that using TOOLS OR MORE EQUIPMENT IS NO GOOD.  Just suck up all the pain and eventually, your mouth won’t even tear or bleed or cut or whatever.  If YOU USE MORE EQUIPMENT (LIKE PLASTIC OVER THE BRACES) IT JUST CHANGES YOUR EMBOUCHURE MORE.  DON"T DO IT!!!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-11

PM

I can’t wait untill mine come off. It’ll be good when I can have a bit more room in my mouth for trumpet playing :)

Rank

Joined 2007-06-22

PM

i play trumpet, and have braces; i have been playing with them for about a year now, and use braceguard which really does work, but it seems that no matter how hard i try, my range will never increase (i think due to the increased overbite). i cannot tighten the corners of my lips very well either. does any1 have any advice?

Rank

Joined 2008-04-30

PM

I am a freshman trumpet player in high school with the same problem.  The only advice I can give is to rethink the wax option.  By playing with braces, a trumpet player can build up a calice which will help with future playing.  I can say personally that the wax you buy reduces the pain considerablly, at the cost of stretching your lip.  Therfore causing problems later.  If your son is serious about playing out of high school and into college then he should stick with building a calice and deal with the temporary pain with the future rewards in sight.  If your son is not serious about playing the trumpet, then using the wax would make sense.  I myself choose to get rid of the wax so I could build up a calice to help with playing in the future.

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

if you get brace relief it will help tremendously!!!! when i got my braces off i could play as usual THE DAY OF! they are only five dollars and you can cut them to fit his mouth. dont give up on braces!

Rank

Joined 2008-01-03

PM

I will be getting my braces on june 30th. I’ve been playing trumpet for a few years and have developed a pretty strong embousure. IMO the best i thing that will work out for me is just to play on my mouthpiece for a week or two untill i get some endurance, flexibilty and strength back..afterall the trumpet is only an amplifyer. I won’t be able to play much throughout the summer because of work. Does playing on the mouthpiece for 10-20 mins before and after work sound like a good idea?. Also, i believe having a positive attitude toward the whole thing will help you recover faster too. I’m only a newbie and i’d love to get some feedback.

Rank

Joined 2008-08-22

PM

hey i know how u feel c i’m first chair i have braces well tell ur son to practice long tones, slurs, definately mouthpice do scales for at lease 30 min to what ever he wants it took me about 2 months to recover my chops and now 1st chari.

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-08-24

PM

When I had braces (8th into 9th grade), I transferred over to saxophone for a year.  Learned a lot and broadened my abilities.  As soon as the braces came off, I went back to trumpet.

Rank

Joined 2009-02-11

PM

Ahhhh! This brought me to tears! I am in the EXACT same position as your son. I waited my entire high school career to be first chair; I had a senior sitting above me, and no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn’t beat him. Anyway, he graduated last year, so this year was to be my year as the first chair player and section leader. But what do I get? Braces. I got my braces put on this summer. So marching band was terrible, and when concert season came around, was when the depression really started to set it. I was so devastated. My entire future had to be revised. I could no longer go into jazz studies like I always planned. I began having anxiety attacks in jazz band and concert band. I missed a lot of school bc of a sleeping disorder I developed, all as a result of the severe depression I developed because of my damn braces and trumpet. But, I am now half way thought the year and my playing much, much, much better. My range is still shot. I don’t see me playing double G’s again as long as I have them on, but my sound, articulation and technique is coming back. Just make sure your son keeps practicing 3+ hours a day. It will all come back… Also, I just noticed you posted this like 4 years ago, so now I feel stupid, and I really just wish for an update about your son, haha.