Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Playing with braces

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 93

Joined 0

PM

Me to i hope your son will get used to his braces if not i’ll take them of for him

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Yeah, i am in the ninth grade and just got my braces on. It really sucks. I had to audition for a chair and found the music to be super easy to read, but i physically couldn’t play; my horn sounded like a choking goose . ITS SOOO FRUSTRATING!!!! I got last chair and I fear my sudden inability to play will affect my grade. Should i condsider dropping the class???????

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

no u will get better with them trust me i had braces wen i was in year 9 and i still mange to pull of carnival de venice and my grade 7 peices with them and i am first chair so honestly dont worry.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

I am senior in high school and just got braces a few weeks ago. I was one of the top trumpet players in the county… 3 days after my all county concert i got braces and I now can hardly play. There seems to be no improvement. I have the brace gaurd that snaps over your braces, which took the pain away from playing, but I still can not physically play. This is very frustrating for me. I have district festival coming up in just a couple weeks. I play 1st part and can’t play the music anymore. Most importantly, I will have to audition for my music scholarship soon. I pretty much had it in thebag before my braces. But there’s no way I will get it with the way I play now. Any advice? How long will it take for me to get back to normal? Or at least playing decently again?

Rank

Joined 0

PM

hi,

please help! I just got braces yesterday and my playing has gone down a lot.

I don’t know what to do, I love band with a passion you would not believe.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get my playing back I’m open for comments.

Please help.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 105

Joined 2007-01-01

PM

I started playing turmpet in 7th grade as a second instrument next to bass clarinet. After only a few weeks of private lessons i was just as good if not better then most of the trumpet players in my band. When I got my braces on my playing wasn’t as good as it was, but my level of playing was still relatively decent. When I heard that i wasn’t as good as i was before braces, I became very frustrated and began to get worse. When you get braces you have to stay 100% confident in your playing or it will suffer dramatically. I did the same thing you guys did, I loaded my teeth with wax and other crap and began asking for the magical and immediate solution to my problem. This didn’t get me anywhere. Having lack of confidence and putting stuff on your teeth WILL NOT help. Throw away the brace gaurd and negative attitude an open up to some easy music and practice it until you feel you sound as good as you did before braces. Perfecting easy music, doing long tones, lips slurs, etc., will help your playing get back to normal in a matter of months or weeks. I know when i did this my playing kept getting better.The following year I made trumpet my primary instrument and got second chair in band. The following semester I became first chair beating kids whose parents are professional musicians and who had been playing twice as long as me. (I know it sounds concieted, but it’s the truth) If you stay confident, practice, let your chops tuffen up, learn from mistakes and failures, and practice some more, I garuntee you’ll be better off. Before you know it the braces will be off and you will be three times better than when you got them on. Hopes this helps!

Matt

p.s. Don’t worry about your range. A good attitude and tone will take you farther than being able to play high Q#.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

ive had braces for 1 year now, and the only way you can play is through practice. when i got braces, i didnt play for 2 weeks, so my mouth could get used to the braces, then i began playing again. whats more, at the same time, i changed for rep cornet to 2nd bari, so it took me longer to get used to it than it would for most. i play 1st bari or euph now, depending on what the conductor wants me to do.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

try using this thing called a morgans bumper. it lasts heaps longer, and its cheaper than wax in the long run. it is basicly a piece if thin pipe, with a slit down its length, and it fits over the brackets. i got it at North Side Music in perth, western australia. i had to order it over the phone, because we live in the middle of the outback, instead of the coast. it costs abou AU$40, but one strip lasts for atleaste six months, and it comes in a pack of 8 strips

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-01-01

PM

Once again I’m warning all of you. Stay away from wax, brace gaurd, and similar products.

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 0

PM

I’ve played with lip protectors and they work like a dream - no messey wax.  I only used them on the bottom teeth to prevent the mouthpiece from appling presure onto the inside of the bottom lip.  I made 1st chair - even in a band with 30 other trumpeters.  You can probably ask your dentist or ortho about getting some - they usually have them for free.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-01-01

PM

Here’s what i’ve been told by various teachers I studied under when I had braces.

1.) Not letting your lips get used to being cut up by braces will result in a very tender inner lip. As a result, when the braces come off, your teeth will make the same cuts and sores in your mouth that the braces did. As a result you may develop sore and/or swollen lips, which i’m sure you know makes playing extreamly difficult and painful.

2.) Braces dramatically change your embouchure. Adding wax or other products on top of the braces make this change even more dramatic and often makes it an even more difficult transistion when they come off.

3.) If you develop endurance by playing without protecting your lips from being cut, your endurance will greatly improve.

My points directly relate to your future trumpet playing, which, in my opinion, is more important because you will be even better players when they come off. Dealing with the pain while you have braces will make your playing without them a whole lot easier. I don’t want to bore you too much, but if you want specific examples of things that have happened to me personally as a result of wax and brace gaurds i will be happy to share them with you. :)

Matt

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

once you have braces your playing will be fucked up the pain intense but when you get braces chewing is a challange let alone trumpet playing once you can chew without pain give it 2-3 weeks then soon enough your embrachoure will get used to it trust me.Then it will almost be like normal just dont play any long peices with octave jumping slurs because your stamaner will be limited to 25 minute trumpet playing.

RankRank

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2005-05-06

PM

Don’t they now have a way to put braces on the back side of the teeth? I thought I’ve seen pictures of this on a trumpet web sight somewhere.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 292

Joined 2005-03-11

PM

Yeah, I getting braces on the back side of my teeth (lingual braces) on Monday!! I’m so excited. It will align my teeth which will help my playing tremendously.

They cost about 3 times as much though.

RankRank

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2005-05-06

PM

For what it’s worth…Jet-Tone makes lip protectors that are supposed to work pretty good. (So I’ve heard - I have no personal experience with this.) I think it’s only about a $10.00 or $15.00 investment. I’ve seen them on   wwbw.com

try this link….may be worth a try.

http://www.wwbw.com/Brass-Mouthpiece-Accessories-q16d1540.music

g—