Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Playing with braces

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 0

PM

Hey does anyone have any experience playing the trumpet with braces? My son has recently gotten braces and is devastated that he can’t play like he used to.  He has lost 1st chair now he wants to get rid of the braces. HELP!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 93

Joined 0

PM

I’ve been there and i know how it feels, my advice to you is to get your son to play a normal C major scale up and down a few times and then do a few slures from the Arban if he has it and slowly he will be able to play almost like he used to it won’t be perfect but he will get used to them just make shore he doesn’t play any challenging peices for a while.
Just out of curiosity how old is he and what grade is he on.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Thanks Jon I appreciate the help.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

My son is in the tenth grade and hes 15 years old. He just started this year at a school that is like a performing arts school. Hes very good. He took over first chair in only a couple of months from a boy thats been playing since grade school. He started playing a couple of years ago. Thanks for the help.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 85

Joined 2005-03-07

PM

I used the wax—mentioned above—freshman year of high school to facilitate playing the trumpet in marching band and orchestra. My playing was never that great during that time. I went from first chair in 8th grade to next to last chair as a freshman.

Also, I have had continuing problems with the recession of my gums ever since I had braces. There can be multiple reasons for this happening, but I would urge your son to keep an eye out for this kind of problem.

Basically, he MUST use the wax or some other similar type protection or he will most likely cut his mouth up.

I stuck with the trumpet though and after I got the braces off my playing improved a lot.

Unfortunately, getting braces does significantly hurt a trumpet players’ abilities. If I had known then what I know now I would not get the braces.

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

I never used wax because the cutting never affected me. My mouth was never cut by the braces for some reason.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

There is a website called The Trumpet Herald, and I remeber a web regarding this subject..if you can’t find it with their search mechanism, you can simply register on the site, and introduce the subject again in the appropriate catagory of subjects.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Thanks Trumpetwool. I just don’t know what to do. If he was going to be a teacher in music or a professional player it would be different. I don’t think thats what he is going to do with his life. If he gets them off now, I know that he will never get them on again. May I ask what is your proffesion?

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Thanks RJ.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 85

Joined 2005-03-07

PM

I’m a music critic/data processor for a website and a musician. I still play jazz trumpet and have improved much since my days with braces. What you just said addressed my concern which is if your kid wants to be a professional trumpet player I don’t think braces are a great idea. However, sounds like that is not the case which makes the decision a bit easier.

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

david i heard that braces behind the teeth hirt ten times worse then with them on the front.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Well today I bought something called Brace Guard. Its a product that you mix together to make some sort of a mold that you put over your braces and it makes an impression of the braces in the mold. You do this for top and bottom braces, just in the front where you would place your mouthpiece. Its supposed to help or stop it from being painful when you blow. They have a website http://www.braceguard.com lets hope that this solves the problem. Thanks for everyones help.

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

yeh bit theres still the trumpet playing

Rank

Total Posts: 15

Joined 0

PM

Dear “Desperate Mom”:

I am a high school senior planning on attending Youngstown State University for music education/music performance in the fall semester.  I just got my braces off at the end of last year, but during my time of playing I was never really affected by the braces except at the beginning of my braces playing… which was in 8th grade.  Now, my circumstances were sort of different, I got my braces on before I became really dedicated to music, so I was able to adjust… but at first, I was shitting all over everything, my playing was terrible… but I got used to it… as will your son if he really wants to overcome this impediment.  People say that your range is affected by your braces… but yet I was able to play double G’s in marching band my sophomore year, and my flexibility never suffered.  I was able to recieve a superior (I) rating in solo and ensemble last year when I had my braces on playing “Bride of the Waves”... which is a Herbert L. Clarke solo.  There are two things to remember when dealing with this situation: (1) Braces affect everyone differently, and (2) If you want to overcome this, you can.  Wynton has a book out called “To A Young Jazz Musician” and it deals with the mental side of being an up and comming jazz artist… I think that this might help your son, because it not only talks about jazz, it talks about life, aspects of life that you, yourself might not be able to explain to him.  I hope that helped.
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
AIM: mddboc

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Dear PC Willy,

Thanks for the info I think that I will get this book for him. I’m sure that it will help him, and give him some insight. Now that he has the brace guard he is doing well.  He just placed 2nd in a solo competition and 1st in a group. They will be going down state for finals. This is a great accomplishment for him because he thought that he would never be able to play again. He not as good as he was before braces but I’m sure he will get there.

Rank

Total Posts: 15

Joined 0

PM

I’m glad to hear that he is doing better.  My best wishes go out to you and him.  Much love.