Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

What trumpet for what occasion

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 93

Joined 0

PM

hi guys,
  how does wynton pick out his trumpet for the night, i usaly see him with either 997 Bb trumpet or 993 Bb but I never see him use his custom monette with the integral mouthpeice i knew he used it on one of his calssical but is that trumpet only for calssical, or i never see him using his convencional STC-1 B2 mouthpeice.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Wynton currently uses a Monette B993 trumpet in the new Prana configuration. His mouthpiece is also a Prana B2.  When I asked him why he had abandoned using the Nirvikalpa Raja Samadhi trumpet (heavy braces integral mouthpiece), he said that it was two heavy and that it did not blend easily with the other horns in the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra.(NO surprise there!)  At the time, he said that he no longer even has that horn..it is back with Dave Monette.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

As Wynton plays the B993, it requires the STC3 or STC2 mouthpieces for matched weight. STC1 weight mouthpieces would be be too light and affect the sound adversly

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Ok Guys, bear with me. What’s the difference between a 997 Bb trumpet and say, a 993 Bb trumpet? And, are there other types? Are they all Bb?

And what’s the differences with mouthpieces? I see an STC-1, 2, and 3, listed and there’s discussion about “weight.” Does this mean that the mouth pieces actually have different weights? If so, what’s the difference in the sound transmitted? Also, do the openings in the mouthpieces differ in size?

So, would trumptes of different types play in the same group? How different are the sounds? Would an untrained ear pick up any differences in sound?

As you can see, this ain’t my thing so please explain this to me like the novice I am. In other words, keep it simple.

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

The best thing to do is to vist Dave Monette’s website. Dave is one of the many proponents of adding more mass to the trumpet. His belief is that this will enhance both playing and aural characteristics of the horn. Dave believes that his heavier horns produce more “resultant tones” throughout the sound spectrum. He also is a yoga practicitioner..he claims that by taking a more aligned and relaxed approach, his instruments are both easier to play, and more in tune. Dave makes a wide variety of trumpets.. the B993, B994, and B997 are all heavier than “normal”, and each of these trumpets use the STC2 and STC3 weight mouthpieces. These mouthpieces match the weight of the horn and enhance the playing characteristics of these horns. ( The heavier the horn, the darker the sound it produces.) Dave also makes the ANJA II, SHATKI, AND RAJA trumpets.(Sheet bracing and integral mouthpiece for the RAJA) These are the heaviest of his trumpets, and these require special mouthpieces as well. I’ve just given you a truly rudimentary explaination of how Monette represents his instruments and the theory behind them. In addition, Dave Monette claims that his mouthpieces have a “constant pitch” center, that allows the player to be more inherently in tune. Keep in mind that Dave Monette is a very controversial figure in the instrument design world. He has equally large groups of detractors and proponents. Check his website if you are interested.

BY the way, the abbreviation STC on Dave’s mouthpieces stands for Stanley the Cat. Apparently his cat way the inspiration for much of his work. I kid you not.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 93

Joined 0

PM

But if you use a STC-2 mouthpeice on a normal trumpet what difference will it make to the sound of the trumpet

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Monette says that using a heavier mouthpiece on a light trumpet is not a good solution for centering and darking tone. I know that James Zollar has used an STC3 mouthpiece on his Schilke trumpet..It doesn’t appear to bother him. For more info, check with Monette and his website. He also has a free mouthpiece and instrument guide you can send away for or pick up from a licensed MOnette mouthpiece dealer.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2005-03-07

PM

I believe Dave Monette’s cat’s name is Sheldon, not Stanly, but yes he says he got his first Raja design telepathically from his cat, Wynton’s affore mentioned decorated trumpet had a crarved picture of Dave’s cat on the back brace of the lead pipe.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

I wonder if Sheldon was the inspiration for Dave having the chutzpah to ask for the bread he gets for those horns. If so, the cat should be run a marketing firm. Meow!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2005-03-07

PM

Dave’s horns have ALOT of good stuff, but like most things they are not perfected, with wind insturments, even more so brass, everythins a trade off-this for that, and in depends on what the best balance is, even if it’s a generic Bach Strad, or a cool, but expensive Raja.

RankRank

Total Posts: 31

Joined 0

PM

I’m going to steer this away from monette for a bit….

I use a Taylor Chicago 46 for most of my work.  For lead, classical and probably section playing, I use a Yamaha 6310Z Bobby Shew trumpet.  I don’t think my talyor would sound very good on lead even though I can play pretty loud on it.
As far a monette, I would like to have a Raja.  I just love the dark sound from those horns. 
Many people complain about these horn saying that they don’t sound like a trumpet but I say so what?  If it sounds good, then it sounds good!
My only concern about the Monette’s are the lack of projection.  The thing is, I’m not sure if that’s the characteristic of the horn, or whomever’s playing it.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 85

Joined 2005-03-07

PM

Now, I have not played a Monette myself, but I’ve been around them enough to get a good sense of the projection of the instrument and I think it is great. I also believe it DOES depend on the player. I’ve heard guys really blow the heck out the them and other players with lesser wind strength just sound weak.

Either way, Monette’s seem to center a player’s sound and make it more pure. I just think you really have to have some good wind to make the most of it.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 85

Joined 2005-03-07

PM

Also - Regarding Rocky James’ previous posting:

Wynton said he no longer even has his Raja? Did he go into any deeper explanation as to why he was no longer using the horn? I just find it interesting that he wouldn’t use the instrument that he helped make famous. I wonder if he has changed his view on the aesthetics he likes in a horn. I mean, you said that he didn’t like how heavy it was, although I know in the past he has expressed a preference toward heavier trumpets.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

The impression I got, is that the heavier Raja trumpet does not blend as well with the other horns in LCJO.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Wynton told me, that he felt the Raja was too heavy and too dark sounding to blend well with the section.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

HI
IM BRUNO MENDEZ
HOW IS THE MAIL OF WYNTON MARSALIS ?

MY MAIL IS .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

I PLAY TRUMPET AND I WANT TO TALK TO WINTON