Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Monette Trumpets

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 66

Joined 0

PM

I’m Intrested in a Classic Bb Raw Brass Monette Trumpet?

I know it’s a entry level horn but I don’t know the price?

R.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 89

Joined 0

PM

Sheesh, ‘sure you wanna know?

RankRank

Total Posts: 45

Joined 0

PM

Since Nic Doesn’t want to break the bad news to you I will. That trumpet is the cheepest one they make and it costs $5,300! That includes a mouthpeice, but no case. Plus I heard from my trumpet teacher that after you by one of his horns, he wants you to sit a very, very specific away and highly suggest you take yoga! I hope you get over the shock quicker then I did when I saw the prices! If you have in other questions about monette horns or other trumpet stuff you can e-mail me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). I hopes this helps.

Matt

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

YOGA!!!??? Forget that!

RankRank

Joined 0

PM

Yeh I know what a phsyco! Hey Nic what kind of trumpet do you play?

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

I play a pretty beat up Selmer Bundy. It’s beat up ‘cause i didn’t have much money i only had like 130 Dollars so i looked in my news paper and found a used one for pretty cheap. Sadly the first owner of it did a horrible Job at taking care of it, it’s got a tiny dent in the bell and some of the lacquer has come off but it makes a great sound! =)

RankRank

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

hi all
monette trumpets are superb but i play on a Taylor chicago custom and these horns are superb in their own right why not have a look at their web site for a more affordable option. comments welcomed

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 66

Joined 0

PM

I know the horns are expensive but I suppose it’s worth the money?
I play a Holton student model although it’s a student model it does have a modest tone I think it’s alright for me now.  I definitely am not buying a Monette trumpet any time soon but it’s good to know thanks guys.

R.

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

Well, of course it’s worth the money! I’d give anything for one of the 993 Bb models. But i refuse to take yoga! =)

RankRank

Joined 0

PM

Nic I play my grandpa’s silver yamaha trumpet it’s from the 70’s, but it’s in mint condition. I guess i’m lucky he bought cause I would never be able to buy a horn thats that nice. I guess i’m lucky. Yeh i’d give anything to play a monette 2000lt or a taylor trumpet, but a 13 year old can’t get that kind of money and I refuse to take yoga!

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 0

PM

guys, yoga is more than just stretching. most of it is centered on breathing and is actually very very helpful for any musician especially a brass player. you’ll learn to control your air better and it will also help your body adjust to the weight of the horn, which is quite heavier than most horns out there. ive taken ravi shankar classes but never yoga, but theres actually alot more involved in yoga than the typical persons realizes. if you have the money, i wish i did, it’s worth it, trust me.

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

Nah, no thanks Amy, i’m just not in that kinda stuff. I’d rather exercise to boost my breathing. I run 4 miles every wednesday and run 2 miles every other day of the week. Also the Lord helps me in my strength so i don’t need yoga. Thanks anyway. =)

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

That is a great suggestion. I have a taylor custom chicago. I love it. I was playing a Monette flumpet the other day which was nice, however I noticed that the dynamics of my taylor were about the same. The taylor gives you great versatility in shading where as the flumpet was more limited. I would deffinately suggest a Taylor first. Andy Taylor will also make custom modifications for you. He designed my own personal mouthpiece for my Taylor and made it very versatile. You can access taylor through my website http://www.butchvarner.com

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 0

PM

hey you guys i scrimped and saved for 2 years with student loan money to get a monette but i have to say that and i know i am going to hear it from you guys but i prefer my circa 1980’s Bach model 37 with a trigger instead of a saddle and i have had all the laquer stripped off dam what a beautiful tone.If you can find one i suggest buying it on the spot!!!!!!!!

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Hi I’m Alex,
I just wondered how can I buy a new Bb993 without a waiting list.

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

Here’s a place

http://thompsonmusic.com/Used_Trp/monette_pre-owned.html

If you’re gonna buy that… I envy you.