Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

how many people have talked to wynton

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 0

PM

i wnet to his gig at the brilliant corners jazz club (R.I.P) in saint paul MN.

me and a buddy sat about 3 feet away from him. we got to talk to him. it was killer.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

thats awsom i think i started to play 10 times more than i was. by the way i play bass drums and piano. i have been known to throw some notes on my buddys trumpet

Rank

Joined 0

PM

you guy are one of the few i now know that have met him

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 0

PM

I got to talk to Wynton for the first time in 2000 at the ITG conference in NY and then again in 2003.  I have now met up with him about 4 or 5 times and the last time I got to have a lesson with him for about 30 minutes in between sets at the Iron Horse club in Massachusetts.  I found that his words are so powerful not only in performance, but also when he is teaching.  He is so charismatic.

Rank

Total Posts: 15

Joined 0

PM

I met him after a gig on his Magic Hour tour.  He was one of the coolest people I have ever met, and so charismatic.

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 0

PM

Yeah I met Wynton after his concert at the Shnitzer in Portland OR. He’s incredibly nice, and such a damn good trumpet player.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

I have never spoken to him before. My son loves him dearly! Is there any way we could meet him? It would just blow his mind away! (my son’s) My son plays alto sax, clarinet, berry sax and soprano. It would just make his life if he were to meet Wynton! He’s sixteen and has plays sax since he was seven. He plays for two of our (Virginia) universities. (he loves jazz)

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 104

Joined 2007-01-01

PM

See Wynton’s tour schedule in your area and…..

The best way to meet Wynton is to hang out and wait after one of his smaller gigs. Go near backstage door (like all good groupies do!)

Usually the LCJO have another engagement and rush off. On most occasions when Wynton plays with a smaller quin/sex tet he is more relaxed and avalable during breaks and after performing.

He is very cordial and ever so charming.

He rarely refuses anyone who waits to see him.

me

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-01-01

PM

Jon-

Your account is interesting. Wynton is lot of things to a lot of people. More of a lady’s man and I guess I’ll admit it- I am a lady.

He is into image. I have gotten this sense too-that he’s lookin at nails, hair stockings, etc…

Not sure what it all means but I remember my mother use to turn us out as kids. As an adult I like to FEEL right.

To be in the right incidental place and to meet the right incidental people-I guess you have to look right too?

OR have a helluva way with your instrument. I have come to learn (not from being in the limelight like Wynton) that the public is into that.

I am a teacher. The kids look, their parents look, the principal looks.

IMAGE is you. One dresses how one feels one thinks-but YOU ARE in most instances HOW YOU LOOKS.

I’ m not saying that Wynton is right but from getting the sense of him INSIDE and OUT you get the definate notion from not only who he is but HOW he is that these things count for something with him. (He is deep into BROOKS BROTHER’S CLOTHING)

You are right that you shouldn’t be judged by how hard it is to get close to him. I appreciate that getting close to Wynton, that JAZZ isn’t cheap!! Sometimes you have to forgo the beauty treatment in order to afford the ticket!!

Don’t hold it against him. Just have a good, long and hard look in the mirror. Have a little talk with YOU about what he said meant to you. If it means something to you then learn from it. If it was about him, then I am certain he’ll be brought to his knees on the issue.

Up Close AND Personal doesn’t come without it’s drawbacks!

Me

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

“i’m glad someone acknowleges how concerned he is with his image”.....Wynton loves and respects what he does, because of that he always wants to present himself a certain way, his comment to you was most likely meant as a joke, which is one of the ways he gets through to people, you (and it doesn’t sound lke you have…) can’t make a judgement on a person’s personality from a brief encounter…I can vouch for the fact that he is one of the most down-to-earth cats I have met…..he loves eating at the Cracker Barrel when he travels, and knows the words to a TON of old country and western songs, he still eats , and this is fairly disgusting, coffee and crackers (mixed together ugh!) and can sing like Smokey Robinson….the public doesn’t always see th e"real” guy, but gets a glimpse, his down home vibe is mixed with a bit of the exhaustion of trying to continuously push this music forward…it can some times be an interesting mix….are you really serious about jazz ? Post your email.

Rank

Total Posts: 12

Joined 0

PM

That’s a good point, I think people(myself definitly included) forget how much pressure is on him.  Tons of people find it easy to take shots at him for not playing a certain way or carrying himself in a different manner than many other jazz musicians.  Its easy to forget that everything he does is to promote Jazz and to spread a love of this music.  At that same time it must be so hard to maintain that image; to be on point all the time…I know I couldn’t do it, there’e be times when i would really just want to go off by myself and practice some long tones to calm myself down and get away from it all.  I wish the ‘real’ guy would show himself in public more, but I understand its hard to be real public with every aspect of your life…but it would make him more human to us.  I dunno maybe i’m coming at this from a weird angle.  My favorite musicians(who are still playing) are the guys who you couldn’t even pick out on the street.  There talent is hidden somewhere inside and you’d never know cause they look so unassuming.  If i saw wynton on the street, even if i didn’t know him, i think i’d look twice at him, he vibes.  In any case i want to make sure that ya’ll know I have much respect and am not talkin’ any @!#$.

JC

Rank

Joined 0

PM

oh yeah, my email is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) ...yeah its corny, i was in high school, whatcha gonna do? haha

-JC

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

I think he is as “real” as he can be….probably more so than Duke, or maybe Bird..or someone like that, just do to the racial situation in America during their time… Jon, you have any online mp3s we can hear?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Once, I came to a large place by the water, where a multitude of trumpet players gathered…...and Wynton stood among us, and spoke of music, and played his trumpet, and asked the assembled trumpets to join him. But as it happened, many of the trumpet players did not have their trumpets with them (We were in the wilderness after all..Cleveland I think), and a great cry rose, and the trumpeters wailed and moaned..(without plungers.) Wynton rebuked us saying..“Oh ye of litte range.”..and he took his Monette B993 and passed it among the assemblage, and all at once there were many Monettes, B993’s, B994’s, 997’s , Anja’s, Shakti’s, Flumpets, Decorated Nirvikalpa Samadhi’s, and 2000LT’s and LTJ’s, and XLT’s..and many in Prana Configurations…and cornets and Piccs and other Monette Trumpets….and suddenly, the assembled trumpeters to these Monettes and made a joyful noise, with less effort, and in tune. Some played exerpts from “Gotterdammerung”, and others blew on “Scrapple from The Apple”...and Wynton looked among the crowd, and smiled and spoke in double and triple tongues saying..“That’s Cool.”

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Yo Juanmustard,

I understand what you mean and the whole ‘real’ thing, i guess i was slightly naive in thinking that.  As far as any Mp3’s not yet.  I just played our concert with our Improv ensemble here at our school last night and they recorded it, but that @!#$ was pretty sad.  I’m at a ‘liberal arts’ college which translates to a bunch of spoiled kids that don’t work at anything…and that especially goes for the music kids.  I’m one of the few people here who is actually trying to do something with jazz and music when they leave..so that translates to me practicing 4 hours a day and going to philly all the time to play with people that can actually play.  If any songs fom the show are not disasters when i hear the play back i’ll put one of those up (which will probably emerge years from now and embarrass the hell out of me).  In a couple weeks I’m recording a demo/audition tape for Grad stuff, which i may or may not get into, as they say “trumpet is in season right now”.  I’m recording it with Charles Fambrough, and several other teachers here, so at least i’ll have a killer rythm section, if i play anything interesting i’ll find a way to get it up.

I havn’t really attempted to put out any Mp3’s yet partially cause everyone is all for critizing when they can’t do better and have no advice for improvment, and it doesn’t take a random person on the internet to let me know i could get housed by most people, haha

But i’ll see what i can do, and if you have any Mp3’s send em my way, i’m always game to hear anything and I understand all of our musical developments are works in progress

JC

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-01-01

PM

Go Guy-

You will be fine . I like your perspectives and I think you will meet Wynton. When you meet him again, you will find that he connects with you on a number of levels. He got YOU where it hurt! He made you think. Maybe it wasn’t humour?

I think he has an inate ability to strike a cord in individuals. He touches..he connects with what is human nature!

Look out for him and I will you.

All good wishes for you and your trumpet!

Me