Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Mentorship program

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Hi everyone. I know this is probably out of the question. But, here goes anyway. My son attends a high school for the gifted in virginia. He wants to be a musician. He plays alto sax, clarinet, guitar, mandoline, piano, tenor sax,etc. (All of that and an asthmatic!) He loves jazz and adores Wynton Marsalis. His school requires all graduating seniors to put together a mentorship program for themselves. Whereby, they must spend a certain amount of time with someone in the industry they wish to aspire to. It can be a short while or an actual working program. He wishes to ask Wynton if he could do this with him. Like I said, I’m certain Wynton is way to busy for this. But, I was wondering if anyone knows who to e-mail or contact to find out if this is at all feasible. You never know.

Worried Mom in Virginia

Rank

Total Posts: 9

Joined 0

PM

Here’s the email that was given to me on a prior post.  That is the one used to forward all mesages and questions to.  Good Luck to you and your son.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Ashley

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

Contact Jazz at Lincoln Center 212-258-9800, ask to speak with Nyala Wright in the Education Department, she should be able to help you out….

RankRank

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2011-06-08

PM

Stacy Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> Hi everyone. I know this is probably out of the

> question. But, here goes anyway. My son attends a

> high school for the gifted in virginia. He wants

> to be a musician, to play music. He plays alto sax, clarinet,

> guitar, mandoline, piano, tenor sax,etc. (All of

> that and an asthmatic!) He loves jazz and adores

> Wynton Marsalis. His school requires all

> graduating seniors to put together a mentorship

> program for themselves. Whereby, they must spend a

> certain amount of time with someone in the

> industry they wish to aspire to. It can be a short

> while or an actual working program. He wishes to

> ask Wynton if he could do this with him. Like I

> said, I’m certain Wynton is way to busy for this.

> But, I was wondering if anyone knows who to e-mail

> or contact to find out if this is at all feasible.

> You never know.

>

> Worried Mom in Virginia

That music school sure has a nice program. That would definitely help the students to pursue their dreams. And drop all concerns to Wynton. He sure is a musician who supports other musicians as well. Best of luck.