Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

WHERE ARE TODAY’S BLACK MALE CROONERS?

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-08-04

PM

Dear Community,

I am writing to you ALL to ask you, where are the Black male Jazz Singers/Crooners? As a Jazz/Swing Vocalist/Crooner I must say that outside of my contemporary Gregory Porter, the list is bleak.

Listen to my debut single’s ‘That First Time’ and “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot’ which can be heard here on soundcloud for FREE before launching on Itunes- http://soundcloud.com/elijahrockjazz/swing-low-sweet-chariot

After headlining the KJAZZ (88.1) Hollywood & Highland Summer Jazz Concert Series in Los Angeles, CA on June 26th, 2012 I had a the realization that preserving the legacy of the great crooners like Arthur Prysock, Billy Eckstine, Joe Williams, Al Hibbler, Johnny Hartman, Nat King Cole, Sammy Davis Jr, and more, was up to me. 

One of my Dreams is to sing with Wynon’s Big Band in NYC and take this music around the world! I’d love your feedback on my sound and any feedback as to why you think the Jazz world has not embraced or does not actively pursue Black Male Jazz, Pop Traditional Vocal artists.

Image Attachments

Elijah_Rock_That_Fist_Time_Single_Album_Cover.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image