Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

embouchure questiom

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-08-26

PM

Dear friends,

A little question.

What are some suggestions to work on when the embouchures closes from B2 and C3 and higher.

Till A2 is no problem. Something felt locked. It is not only a moutpiece problem but it coulk help. Wo has a nice idea for a mouthpiece with in all ranges an open tone over at leat 3 octaves.

Thanks!

Musical regards

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

Best thing to do is to get a Bach 3c and find a great private teacher to help you…When you do that and get both taken care of….You need to practice your butt off!!!!  Don’t want to sound “hard”, but that is the honest truth…Find a good teacher and work on your deficiencies…..Best to you and good luck!!!!

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-02-28

PM

First of all you need to find out if it truly is a mp situation or embouchure challenge.

Try this:

Play to your highest note on the horn. Now, try to LIP BUZZ that same note, but 1 octave lower.

Could you do it?

EXAMPLE:  if you could play a high c like you say, were you able to LIP BUZZ a middle C?

If so, then checking out other mouthpieces might not be a bad idea.

However, 9 out of 10 people doing this would not have been able to buzz out that middle C which means you need to practice and get the embouchure stronger.

The above is just one technique I teach out of 50 in my Guaranteed Upper Register Program.

Most Students take from me by phone and it works perfectly. However, down the road, it does help to have skype and a webcam because some of the techniques will require me to demonstrate them so you can see what i am doing.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-02-28

PM

....oh yeah, my site is:

http://www.trumpetsizzle.com if you want more info

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2011-06-09

PM

20 minutes of long tones before start practice helps a lot. It is a painfull method but you gotta pay the price if you want t sound good! I do long tones every day with my mouth piece when I’m driving to work and going home. That’s the best way I found. I’ve improved big time this way. Good luck!

RankRank

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2011-06-08

PM

wvtrumpet Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> Best thing to do is to get a Bach 3c and find a

> great private music teachers to help you…When you do

> that and get both taken care of….You need to

> practice your butt off!!!!  Don’t want to sound

> “hard”, but that is the honest truth…Find a good

> teacher and work on your deficiencies…..Best to

> you and good luck!!!!

Got to agree to that. Go find a great teacher that could help you fix what is needed to be done. And of course, practice harder. Practice more and never stop practicing. Best of luck.