Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Where’s the best place to get an education in trumpet playing

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-12-11

PM

want to get a response from professionals and experts & players:

Where’s the best place to get an education in trumpet playing? What college would you recommend in the USA? interested in obtaining fundamental education in perfomance combines good technique training not only in jazz study with a good theoretical basis and the classical courses & ensembles

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

transcribe!

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

seriously, i am quite curious myself. I have always heard that the best place for an undergrad is a college with a strong private teacher, such as juilliard or northwestern.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-12-26

PM

A big name school is not always the best place to start out. Depending on where you are with trumpet there may be more opportunity to develop at a lesser known or smaller school where you can get more individual attention. The big name institutions are great if you’re ready for the competition. The main thing is to get with a good trumpet teacher with a solid reputation for doing what you want to do with trumpet and a genuine interest in teaching.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-12-11

PM

Continuing his theme of education would like to clarify the question of

Jazz Education in New Orleans in particular programs (UNO Jazz Studies program & New Orleans Jazz Orchestra vs. Monk Institute of Jazz Performance *)

as I wrote my goal of becoming a jazz trumpeter with serious classical-academic background * if and study jazz, why not do it in the place of his birth! especially since new-orlean jazz is a special interest as a kind of foundation upon which to overbuild other music.

I would like to get opinions on these programs. and the universities themselves in particular!

Thus, my concept of education will be based on the initial bachelor in New Orleans and completed in New York, possibly in the Eastman School or Julliard

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

Great question..I believe the answer lies in finding a place that has a great teacher and is set up for you to practice and perform in ensembles to apply what you are learning!  I think that this honestly can be done at almost any liberal arts college…A lot of Cat’s today go Julliard or Eastman and have great careers…A lot of Cat’s also go to these type of schools, go in debt and never enjoy a fruitful career. 

I went to two state schools for both my BA and my Masters in trumpet.  I am not playing in a major orchestra (never aspired to do so), nor do I play full time…However,  I enjoy a very active performance schedule playing everything from an orchestra gig, to a jazz gig to a show, to playing with Entertainers like Bobby Vinton or Tony Orlando. 

There are a lot of Cats that never went to school that CAN PLAY!  If you look at it, Wynton did not finish his degree program at Julliard and look how he turned out!!!  People that hire Players could honestly care less where they went to school, they just want to know can you cover the part and be productive to the ensemble! 

I know a lot of guys that went to “big time” schools and they are posers!!!!  Find somewhere that you can get a great education with a teacher that has extensive teaching and performance experience and soak up every opportunity that you are given to hear live music and listen to recordings of great players!!!  Practice in an organized concise way on a regular day to day basis and you will make great strides!!!!  Best of Luck too you!!!

PS… Please no one take this as an insult to Julliard or Eastman or Northwestern…I am not saying anything negative about such fine institutions.  I am just saying that you do not have to go to a big time school to have a career in music and to make money playing the trumpet.

Best,  Neil L. King

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-01-30

PM

This great forum is very interesting and enjoyable to read. I am a big fan of the subjects discussed. I also enjoy reading the comments, but notice that alot of people should stay on topic to try and add value to the original blog post. I would also encourage everyone to bookmark this page to your favourite service to help spread the word.

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2011-05-18

PM

I guess that there are a lot of music school that you can find around here that would help you out in playing the trumpet very well. In all of the sources that you can find, for sure you would be able to choose the good lesson or school or trainer that would give you. I hope that you would be able to get that one that suits you.