Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

About his play, influence, trumpets*

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-12-11

PM

Hello all!

welcome all of Russia! I am a big a fan of Mr. Wynton after his concert in Moscow in ‘99

I want to ask some questions probably somewhat silly (in advance sorry):

I gather from the biography of mr. Wynton sure he studied under the guidance of a his great father, a piano, later studied trumpet! He studied it jazz or classical direction? in what volume I need to learn jazz musician classical repertoire?

I would like to know what disks what he believes trumpeters mandatory training in jazz and the classics?

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-12-23

PM

Hello

when he was a young boy he spent many time with jazz musicians but when he whas 14 he learn classical music and began to make classical records. when he was 20he play with the Art Blakey jazz messengers. Wynton say one day “you don’t have to study classical music to play jazz”

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-12-11

PM

An interesting question his first professional horns: how I learned from the information available on the Internet is their first albums + work in the Jazz messengers and classical works were made: Bach ‘37 & Bach (Vindabona step bore-72’bell-43’ lead pipe) with bach 1 1/4 mpc??someone that can add on the subject of the specific characteristics of Wynton horns that period?

RankRank

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2011-06-08

PM

Pavel_Edmont Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> Hello all!

> welcome all of Russia! I am a big a fan of Mr.

> Wynton after his concert in Moscow in ‘99

>  I want to ask some questions probably somewhat

> silly (in advance sorry):

> I gather from the biography of mr. Wynton sure he

> studied under the guidance of a his great father,

> a piano, later studied trumpet lessons! He studied it jazz

> or classical direction? in what volume I need to

> learn jazz musician classical repertoire?

> I would like to know what disks what he believes

> trumpeters mandatory training in jazz and the

> classics?

Here are some interesting facts about Wynton:

At an early age he exhibited an aptitude for music. At age eight, Wynton performed traditional New Orleans music in the Fairview Baptist Church band led by banjoist Danny Barker, and at 14, he performed with the New Orleans Philharmonic.

At age 17, Wynton was the youngest musician admitted to Tanglewood’s Berkshire Music Center, where he won the school’s Harvey Shapiro Award for outstanding brass student. Wynton moved to New York City to attend Juilliard in 1979, and picked up gigs around town. In 1980, Wynton joined the Jazz Messengers led by Art Blakey. In the years that followed, Wynton performed with Sarah Vaughan, Dizzy Gillespie, Sweets Edison, Clark Terry, Sonny Rollins, Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams and countless other jazz legends.