Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Fraudulent Recordings

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2011-10-04

PM

Was there a “legal” or official release of the Jazz Messenger material listed here?

http://www.wyntonmarsalis.org/fraudulent-recordings/

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

the “giant of jazz” album has material from art blakey’s “art blakey & Wynton marsalis: Jodi” album.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2008-02-29

PM

Back in the day, I made the mistake of duplicating one or more of those Blakey bootlegs.  I love that Live at Bubba’s disc.  The Blakey outfit was really swinging that night.

RankRankRank

Joined 2008-02-29

PM

We used to call these bootlegs.  You could buy bootlegs in the now defunct Tower Records.  I think Miles Davis’ estate bitched about it and they pulled the boots from the shelves. 

Wynton, or maybe it is the LCJO, might have a boot out on that Italian label.  I think it is called Jazz Door or something like.  You could find those in Tower, but I haven’t seen anything out of JD in awhile.  I don’t know if they are even in business.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2011-10-04

PM

I was just wondering with all these numerous fraudulent recordings with the same songs on them, was there ever a “legal” or “official” release of this material or are these recordings only available on bootlegs?

RankRankRank

Joined 2008-02-29

PM

I can’t remember if any of those CDs came out on “legitimate” labels.  However, it is not all that uncommon for a record, or CD, to be released under one artist’s name and then re-released under another artist’s name for marketing purposes.

I think “Coltrane Time” on Blue Note was released originally under Cecil Taylor’s name and then when Coltrane became big the record was released under his name.  And there was another case.  I think the record was called Turkish Woman at the Bath”.  It came out under Pete “La Roca” Sims name and then was re-rereleased under Chick Corea’s name when Chick became a name.  I believe Sims took legal action and the CD was released under Sims’ name.

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

wasnt turkish woman at the bath also a don ellis album?