Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Other Trumpet Players

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Yeah, I checked this forum and saw my man Ambrose Akinmusire’s name quite a few times. It’s been six years since we’ve known each other from high school, and to see him now doing his thing back east really drives me to get over there from Cali while we’re all still young. We recently played at Yoshi’s together. I’m telling you, as soon as this man’s album comes out, it’s on! And don’t forget about my other trumpeter Jon Finlayson, whom you might have seen with Steve Coleman, and he’s blowing up just as well!

Rank

Joined 0

PM

ME!!! ;=)

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 292

Joined 2005-03-11

PM

Heh, that’s a good one, Jason!

I say the same thing!

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 0

PM

A very good player is Allen Vizzutti also another player i heard at the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival was a man from australia i can’t remeber his name but he was amazing. He did a trumpet/trombone jazz solo with one in each hand ...and yes it he player screach trumpet which was totally amazing.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 292

Joined 2005-03-11

PM

Hey Carl,

That’s James Morrison you saw at the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival. He’s always doin’ fancy stuff with playing multiple instruments at the same time and playing high all the time.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 0

PM

Present: Jon Faddis and Michael Mossman  

Past:  Bill Chase and Conrad Gozzo

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 150

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

Mainly, I listen to Wynton.(Over 20 years and counting…..just gets better and better).

Roy Hargrove (seeing him live at the Vanguard, sitting directly in front of him, I gained a newfound appreciation of his playing).

Terrence Blanchard (listening to the music he composed for Spike Lee’s films, particularly Mo’ Better Blues).

Freddie Hubbard (Red Clay)

Arturo Sandoval

Nicholas Payton

Clark Terry (saw him at Newport last year for the first time. Excellent.)

Past:

Lee Morgan

Miles Davis

Benny Carter

Clifford Brown

Dizzy Gillespie

(Mom and Dad’s old jazz lp’s provided a real education for me)

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 66

Joined 0

PM

Clifford Brown

Seneca Black

Herb Alpert

Clark Terry

Anthony Prisk

Raphael Mendez

That one russian guy named Nakariakov?  I’ve heard some of his stuff, it’s very good..

Al Hirt

and others..

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 105

Joined 2007-01-01

PM

I’m suprised there is someone else who likes Herb Alpert. I’ve loved his music even before I had started playing, but some of the teachers I studied under, and many trumpet players I know, have little respect for him.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Cats in england are Neil yates and Bryan Waller. Duncan mccay is good too and a cat in scotland, young mid 20’s kid, is it Quinn? can’t remember but i heard him at glasgow Jazz fest a couple of years back he’d blow the socks off a few nancy boys down south!

Rank

Total Posts: 9

Joined 0

PM

cmcdougall Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> “Colin MCDOUGALL - MAn ... where do i begin with

> you .. actually i’ll just leave you alone cause

> you don’t know a damn thing about music trying to

> compare wynton to brain lynch ... Are you crazy ?

> Thats like Oscar del La hoya vs. Tyson before they

> got in his head “

>

> I think this thread was about other trumpet

> players, and i f u read my post i think i clearly

> said that brian lynch and wynton have very

> different styles of playing, both which i greatly

> enjoy, i didnt “compare” them whatever that means,

> i just stated my opinion on another trumpet player

> on the jazz scene today.

CMcdougall

In your defence, this pleb obviously doesn’t know too much about boxing. De la Hoya V Tyson would never have been a match regardless of Mick t’s head state! De La Hoya is a natural welter and no real weight jumper like Roy Jones. bad use of metaphor.

Also, Brian Lynch is an excellent player that would roast a good few people I won’t mention.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

I had a trumpet teacher once who said he preferred Conrad Gozo to Miles Davis.

I said that i thought the two were totally different kinds of players. he told me wouldn’t tolerate my discent and sentenced me to an hour of Chas Colin’s.

I did it then told him i still thought Miles was the man. He got real angry and said that I was a mamby pamby!

The last thing I heard, he was playing in Zippo’s circus whilst i went on to do my basic training with the 2nd parachute regiment of the French Foreign legion in Calvi, Corsica. I became lead and jazz soloist in their marching band before endeing my comission and going to work for a leading “restaraunteur” in Marseilles.

I now have a thriving career as a free lance trumpeter and security adviser to nightclubs on the cote d’azur

just goes to show what sticking with your convictions can do for you!

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

That’s RAY Vega

Rank

Joined 0

PM

No it wasn’t, he was called albert ramsbottom! Ray vega doesn’t play in ZIPPO’S CIRCUS.

thanks for your effort though Pinnochio

Rank

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2005-11-16

PM

anybody heard of Ingrid Jensen? (one of my favorite female trumpet players overall)

what about Herb Alpert? That’s my man, my hero, my top artist of the world

what about these cats?:

1. Maynard Ferguson

2. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass

3. Chuck Mangione

4. Arturo Sandoval (the Ray Charles or the Quincy Jones of Latin/Popular Music, perhaps the Louis Armstrong of them all)

5. Donald Byrd

6. Randy Brecker (my favorite of them all)

7. Jon Faddis

8. Freddie Hubbard (my main man)

9. Rick Braun (same aight as 8.)

‘Nuff right there. You do ur pick.

-HC

Signature

I’m the One you should Choose.